The end of the current year is fast approaching, and for many people, that signals a time to relax and slow down the pace a little.
Instead of taking your foot off the gas, you should be taking this time to reflect on what has happened with your career this year, whilst also starting to make resolutions for next year. Creating a career list for the New Year is easy, but how do you abide by it?
It has been shown through research that about half of all people will have at least one New Year’s resolution, but that only about 10% of that number will follow through and succeed with their goals. If you want to stay motivated through 2017 and hit all your career goals, there are 6 definite steps that you need to follow:
- It all begins by creating a list of clearly defined career goals, which should include notes on why each one is important to you. Are you looking to change careers or perhaps advance in your current job? If so, why?
- All goals should be measurable in some way, which means keeping track of your progress. For example, if it’s a career change you are after, how many companies have you met with, and how many people have you networked within your new chosen industry?
- Learn to be patient. Not seeing instant results is why so many people give up on their resolutions. Therefore, keeping track of your progress is important. Things may be moving slowly, but at least you can see that they are moving forward.
- Make your goals known to others. Talking to family and friends about your career goals means picking up an instant support group. They can lift you up when you are feeling down, and can help keep you positive and on track throughout the year.
- Keep in mind that you might not be able to reach your chosen goals with a single step. Dream jobs don’t just fall into your lap, and there are often several steps, such as networking and gaining more experience, that need to be done before you reach that goal. It’s all about making progress and keeping an eye out for the next big step.
- Learn from the mistakes that you will make. It’s okay to feel a little sorry for yourself after a mistake, but that should be a short stop on the journey. Think about the causes of the mistake, and what you can change to ensure that it never happens again.
These are the 6 easy to follow steps that will help you stay motivated in achieving your career goals in the New Year. Here are 3 more to consider:
Begin Immediately – Having a New Year’s resolution doesn’t mean that you need to wait until January 1 to start putting it into effect. Get a jump start today, as it will get your where you want to go much more quickly.
Pat yourself on the back – Succeeding in achieving your goals is something that should be celebrated. First, declutter your life and then give yourself a little pat on the back with each new step, as this helps keep you motivated.
Enjoy yourself – While getting started now is a great way to get the ball rolling, it’s still worth remembering that this is a time of year for family, friends, and fun. Don’t be so focused on your career goals that you forget that.
One way to kick things off is to talk to a career coach about what it is that you hope to achieve in the New Year. They can help you find the path that will offer the least amount of resistance, as well as the greatest rewards.
U-Diverse helps international clients and expatriates, with diverse backgrounds, to be fulfilled in their professional career, and work authentically with their strengths.
We provide the following services for private clients:
We also support global organizations to set up a diverse and inclusive environment. Through coaching and training, we assist them in creating productive work environments where international, expatriate and diverse clients are valued.
We provide the following services for global organizations:
- International Recruitment and Interview Coaching & Training
- Diversity & inclusion
- Leadership for Global Executives
- Outplacement & Talent Acquisition
- Virtual Team Training
Take charge of your international career, and schedule a free strategy session with us today!
About U Diverse’s founder:
Magali Toussaint is the founder of ‘U-Diverse’. She is a certified Talent Acquisition Strategist, an ICF-certified Leadership Consultant, a Career Coach, a Cross-Cultural Trainer, and a Job Search Strategist with an extensive career in Recruitment, HR, Diversity, as well as Education. She has lived and worked in over four countries and speaks French, English, and Dutch fluently. Read More...